Background reading on sustainable business
The world’s best known leaders in business sustainability have highlighted that the sustainability journey is one of continuous learning and there’s certainly a large volume of background reading available on the topic.
To highlight the importance of reading up, check out this punchy 3 minute film featuring Ray Anderson of Interface carpets. He talks about how his journey started with the help of a book called, ‘The Ecology of Commerce’ by internationally renowned author, Paul Hawken (also co-author of ‘Natural Capitalism’).
So to get you started, here’s just a handful of useful books on sustainable business. In time, this page will include a summary of each of these resources, to help you find what you think would be most useful in your context.
Books on sustainability
- The Top 50 Sustainability Books, University of Cambridge (Greenleaf Publishing, 2009).
- Accounting for Sustainability: Practical Insights, Anthony Hopwood, Jeffrey Unerman and Jessica Fries (eds.) (Earthscan, 2010).
- Cents and Sustainability: Securing our Common Future by Decoupling Economic Growth from Environmental Pressures, Michael H. Smith, Karlson ‘Charlie’ Hargroves and Cheryl Desha (Earthscan, 2010).
- Making Sustainability Work: best practices in managing and measuring corporate social, environmental and economic impacts, Marc J. Epstein (Greenleaf Publishing, 2008).
- The Green Scorecard: Measuring the Return on Investment in Sustainability Initiatives, Patricia Pulliam Phillips and Jack J. Phillips (Nicholas Brealey Publishing, 2011.
- The Green Executive: Corporate Leadership in a Low Carbon Economy, Gareth Kane (Earthscan / Routledge Publishing, 2001).
- The Step-by-step Guide to Sustainability Planning, Darcy Hitchcock and Marsha Willard (Earthscan / Routledge Publishing, 2008).
- The Sustainability Handbook: the complete management guide to achieving social, economic and environmental responsibility, William R. Bakcburn (Earthscan, 2009).
- Sustainability: The Corporate Challenge of the 21st Century, Dexter Dunphy, Jodie Benveniste, Andrew Griffiths and Philip Sutton (eds.) (Allen & Unwin, 2000).
- Organizational Change for Corporate Sustainability: A Guide for Leaders and Change Agents of the Future, 2nd edition, Dexter Dunphy, Andrew Griffiths and Suzanne Benn (Routledge, 2010).
- Sustainability Unpacked: Food, Energy and Water for Resilient Environments and Societies, Kristiina A. Vogt et al. (Earthscan, 2010).
- Design for Environment: A Guide for Sustainable Product Development 2nd edition, Joseph Fiksel (McGraw Hill, 2012).